July 6, 2011

1991- "Corrido Navideño"

.....This is the third post of original songs from the following album:
  • 02:57 "CORRIDO NAVIDEÑO" (Bubba Hernandez)
  • performed by Brave Combo
  • original source: CD IT'S X-MAS, MAN! P-Vine PCD-2300 (Japan) 12/91
  • and my source: CD IT'S CHRISTMAS, MAN! Rounder Records CD 9033 (US/Canada) 09/92
.....There's more information about the album in the previous two posts which I won't repeat here. Regarding this song specifically, my Spanish is a little rusty but I know the word "navideño" is the adjective form of the word "Christmas". If I had to guess (because I don't know who would take polls about matters like this) I would assume that Americans who don't speak Spanish are more likely to recognize the noun "Navidad". [In English we use one word to mean both the holiday (noun) and a description (adjective) of things related to it.] The word "corrido" as it is used here points up some of the idiomatic differences between European Spanish and Mexican Spanish. The use of the word originated in Europe and described songs meant to praise, lionize or flatter leaders or persons of power (deserving or not). In a way, when we see someone serenading a loved one in a sitcom what we're seeing is a tongue in cheek allusion to a European corrido, since that practice is now considered antiquated and engaging in it is even more of a quixotic romantic gesture than whatever words are being sung. On the other hand, the Mexican corrido had evolved into something of a public service announcement. It may have had its origins in publicly applauding the local governors but before the days of television and improved literacy rates the corrido became a means of passing on folk wisdom and life lessons of all kinds. "CORRIDO NAVIDEÑO" is a retelling of the birth of Christ and if I didn't already know that the band was based in Texas I still would have concluded that this leaned more towards the Mexican tradition. The tempo is designated ranchera, and not being a dancer I'll certainly take their word for it.

.....A little internet sleuthing leads me to believe that Bubba's given name is Cenobio, named for his grandfather as is his publishing company, Don Cenobio Music. Tomorrow I'll make a point of including the band's full line-up.

No comments: