February 1, 2011

Motown Introduction

.....Spelunking has unearthed a cache of CD's I packed away over eight years ago, just in time for the new month beginning today. I will now be able to post a song every other day (although not as long as the previous one) just by rifling through a box. Oh, and reading all that tiny print.

.....To start, I can select a theme for the first month to help me organize. Since Christmas songs by or about presidents are few and thin on the ground, and Valentine's Day is an entirely separate holiday, I've decided that Black History Month would provide an easily satisfied framework. In fact, I had already expected to be documenting songs by black artists off and on all year. Thus, to make this project within a project special, I'm going to do a chronological look at the Motown family of labels. With 27 days left, I should be able to cover everything they released with regards to Christmas music up to about 1980. Because that would include standards as well as original songs I'm going to try and mention the original artists for those songs being covered. Eventually, they too will each get a full post. Cross your fingers.

No comments: